Friday, May 25, 2012

Self-Injury Among Victorians? A Picture of Misery.

9004_8133
Eliza Josolyne, February 1857.
Admitted to Bethlem "Bedlam" Mental Hospital,
Age 23,
For 'insanity from overwork'.

Eliza was admitted when she failed to keep up with the demands of a single-servant house - that is, she was unable to perform the task of tending, stocking, cleaning, lighting and banking the fires and lamps in all twenty rooms during the winter months all by herself.

She began to self-injure and when admitted, her records reported that she ‘has frequently tried to injure herself by knocking her head against doors and walls, and has slept in the padded room on this account’.

A few months later, Eliza was transferred to the 'Incurables Department' and no further record of her is known.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to ask me anything. If it's a request for information, I will do my best to tell you what I know and research what I don't. I hope you're enjoying my blog!